Tuesday, 5 April 2011
Since the new Bar Council took office in the middle of March 2011, the principle focus has been to sort out the KPI Resolution at the AGM. Re-cap : at the last Bar AGM, the members almost unanimously put a vote of no-confidence against the KPI system imposed in Court, as it has curtailed Justice at the expense of statistics.
Since then, the Office Bearers have met the CJ & gang, many times and to summarise, (as at 4th April 2011); this is more or less what has happened:-
1. OB met CJ about 2 weeks ago.
2. OB re-visited the results of a Joint meeting between Judiciary & BC in JAnuary 2011. At that meeting, a few points were agreed (adjournment issue/witness issue/force-to-close case early issue etc etc).
3. CJ inform President, no more KPI
4. OB met BC a few days after that meeting
5. BC gave mandate to OB to push thru a new Practise Direction (PD), to legislate better management of cases (adjournment/witnesses/written submission etc etc)
6. A PD was drafted and presented to CJ & gang about 10 days ago.
7. The same draft PD was discussed at the Session Court Judges/Magistrate Conference at Melaka last weekend.
8. Many phone calls exchanged between OB & CJ/CJM etc
9. Draft PD more or less agreed.
10. Meeting between OB & CJ plus gang on 4/4/2011 to iron out the draft PD
11. Now waiting for CJM (who was ill and absent at the said meeting) to revert and confirm
12. If all goes well, maybe (just maybe) a Joint Press Conference will be held between CJ & OB of BC to sort this out.
* on many occasions, Brendan Siva (Court Liaison Chair) & Rajpal Singh (Criminal Practice Comm Chair) followed OB to meet CJ & gang.
So, maybe; if all goes well, OB can make a joint announcement on this issue this week.. Keeping fingers cross, and working hard on this issue.
Friday, 1 April 2011
We see the best of Malaysia, in the past week:-
1. No Poco-poco allowed in Perak, Fatwa of Perak's Muslim Body
2. 3 Datuk, 1 was in a video, 2 were at Press COnference, all 3 behind the screening a sex video, apparently recording a sexual encounter between a man who look like Anwar Ibrahim. Out of the 3, one is a former UMNO man who is a former PKR man, who is now an UMNO man again. The 2nd is a former Chief Minister who allegedly fucked young Girls. The 3rd Datuk has poor management of his mustache is apparently a straight man involved in a crooked bridge contract.
3. Related to this, the very Datuk alleging that Anwar Ibrahim was in that sex video, threaten to sue people who allege that he allegedly fucked young girls when he was a Chief Minister.
4. MACC officer watch porn while interrogating Teoh Beng Hock. We now know what happened I suppose?
5. No more KPI? Will Judges be more interested in statistics of case completion or achieving Justice?
6. The Home Minister of the BN Government say Government in fair and dont like people attacking religions, but went on to 'chop', for Christians only on Bahasa Melayu Bibles.
7. A member of Parliament, representing the best of Malaysia attacks ladies as poor drivers, received criticism for that from Women, and then allege the criticism is 'sexual harassment'. Classic!
Malaysia, Truly Boleh!
Malaysia, Truly Boleh!